Friday, July 16, 2010

I am in Ketchikan, Alaska, and I just toured her (in)famously-historic Creek Street, where her longest-standing brothels were in operation until the US federal government closed them down. There is much laughter and under-the-breath joking about these businesses now. But the fact that many women willingly provided the "service" of prostitution... because it made more money than, for instance, waiting tables... is only sad to me.
I consider this business as one that demeans both the "workers" and the men they "serve"; it also undermines the sanctity of marriage and the family. Nevertheless, the women who engage or engaged in prostitution, then and now, are precious in the sight of God. And with that in mind, I am careful to say they were women who engaged in prostitution,  rather than call them prostitutes. Do you wonder why I fuss over this detail? (I promise you -- it's not because I want to be politically correct.) And, even more, do you wonder how this has any bearing on the theme of this blog? Your questions are good and fair... and I will answer them in my next entry, as soon as I return home. :)
Now it's back to my cruise ship... talk to you in a few days!
-- Reenie

2 comments:

  1. To many times the many women in these situations are forced into them through years of abuse. I know I was shocked a little over a year ago when I found out Calgary was one of the busiest cities in NA when it came to Human Trafficking!

    This is a social injustice not just to marriage and family dynamics; it is an injustice to human nature in all ways - physically, mentally, and spiritually. Most of all to God as we are created in his image!

    We must recognize the enemy which is behind this however, namely sin as an external entity which commits this injustice to the people involved. In that way we must always treat and approach our brothers and sisters with love, grace, and faith in the transformative powers of Jesus' promise for redemption!

    "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts. Who are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you shall become a plain. And he shall bring forward the top stone amid shouts of ‘Grace, grace to it!’ ” - Zechariah 4:6-7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erik -- Preach it, brother!!!

    P.S. As I understand it, women who engaged in prostitution during the Gold Rush era were often motivated by different factors than many women who do the same thing today. However...the same enemy is still behind it all, and his motivation has been the same for generations: to weaken and destroy people's very souls.

    ReplyDelete